This 3-day retreat focusses on the Four Foundations of Mindfulness and Shamatha Meditation Practice.
Developing the mental factor of mindfulness is possibly the greatest gift we can give to ourselves and give to others. It enables us to develop levels of conscious awareness that we had no idea existed. Awareness is the ability to see through all the distorted layers of our conditioned self developed from early experience and interaction with our environment.
Shamatha meditation is your starting point. It is a meditation practice that trains the mind, developing calmness, stillness, stability balance. Without calmness, stillness, stability or balance we have a scattered, distracted, confused and chaotic mind. Simply blown about by our emotional, reactive, programmed, conditioned self.
Shamatha meditation develops stability of mind enabling us to look deeper into our human experience. We do this through contemplation meditation known as Vipassana meditation. Shamatha and Vipassana work together but we need to focus on Shamatha first to develop stability of mind. Without stability of mind we can easily get lost.
The Four Foundations of Mindfulness enable us to explore ourselves, others, our relationship, our environment and the world we live it.
Friday 26th April – Sunday 28th April
Arrival from 14:00 Friday 26th April.
Retreat ends after lunch on Sunday 28th April.
Full board, ensuite single occupancy for retreatants.
Ince Benet Retreat Centre | Cross Barn Lane | Ince Blundell | L38 6DJ
Programme Outline |
- Our day will start at 7:30am with an early morning meditation practice.
- Breakfast will be at 8:00am.
- Sessions will be a mixture of guided practice, experiential practice, walking and yoga practice.
- There will be extended periods of silence that means not talking, interacting with others, no mobiles phones or reading anything that is not related to your personal practice.
- From 7pm to 8:30pm each evening there will be discourse and discussion within the common room.
- Day ends at 8:30pm.
Learning Objective |
- You will understand what the Four Foundations of Mindfulness and their significance when and teaching mindfulness.
- You will understand from a theoretical and experiential level the practice of Shamatha meditation.
- You will gain a deeper understanding of developing Stability of Mind through the correct application of mindfulness and awareness meditation practice.
- You will gain more clarity into your own inner conflicts and learn a different method of approach.